20/04/2009

Easter Reading

Just back to work after the Easter holidays, which were a great opportunity to catch up with some reading. I am working through a great big stack of unread novels. I am trying to alternate between 'adult' books and 'kids' books, so as well as We Need To Talk About Kevin
and The Tenderness of Wolves, I read Hoot, Piggies and, best of all, Mortal Engines.

I read Philip Reeves Here Lies Arthur a while back, and I think it is one of the best books I have read for sometime, so I was keen to check out his back catalogue and Mortal Engines did not disappoint. With the sad death of JG Ballard one of my idols, we need all the dystopias we can get, so the post-nuclear war world of the Mortal Engines Quartet is a recommended place to spend some time.

You might also be interested in Gone. I read a review in the Guardian, about how it is written as if it were a video game, ie. perfect those reluctant boys. I also recall the trailer for the book, done as if it were a film. Well for the multimedia hat-trick you can read the whole book online for free, you need to be quick - it is only available until 22 April 2009.

No comments: